Re: [Asrg] Re: 6. Proposals - Pull System (revisited)

2003-11-30 10:51:32
----- Original Message -----
From: "Philip Miller" <millenix(_at_)zemos(_dot_)net>
To: "Dag Kihlman" <dag(_dot_)kihlman(_at_)htu(_dot_)se>
Cc: <asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Sunday, November 30, 2003 5:13 PM
Subject: Re: [Asrg] Re: 6. Proposals - Pull System (revisited)

Under your pull system, there is no benefit to receivers until every ISP
turns on your blocking or gets blacklisted. Until then, there will be
quite
a mess. There will always be non-compliant sites and service providers.
Your
proposal doesn't deal with that issue any better than SMTP does currently.

I would say the mess is here today. Filters remove perfectly honest mails
and let spam pass. As long as anyone can hack someone else's computer any
verification system can be put out of business.

Since the sender never can be 100% verified in a push system I suggest a
pull system where the sending server is always 100% verified. It is not
authenticated, it is not certified, it is not blessed by the pope but if the
mail body is not on that server the spammer is really really stupid.

On top of this 100% verification of the sending server you can add
blacklists, whitelists, classifications. Probably people will blacklist like
mad but that is really up to the individual. ICQ is a system where the user
can blacklist everyone else but the persons on the contactlist. This does
not mean ICQ does not work. It works splendidly. People are able to
communicate and maintain a blacklist at the same time. They can do it and
they will do it better than automated servers.

Sure you can have blacklists in push as well, but allowing spammers to push
is really making them a service: they are able to hit and run leaving
virtually no trace on the hacked machine. In my system I will see if
spammers or viruses are using my credentials to send mail and I am able to
stop them. If my ISP has not blocked the ports to a pull server on my
machine some blacklists will discover that a lot of spam is comming from my
ISP and block everything from the ISP. Sure this is causing damage but to
quote Rambo: they made first blood! ;-)

/DK