RE: [Asrg] Re: 6. Proposals - Pull System (revisited)

2003-11-30 17:07:28

If I want to install a pull server I ought to subscribe to a static IP
address and pay some fee for having the ports opened. (The market will
make
this fee reasonable)

You would have to enact a law that states fees must be charged.
That would only be valid in the country where the law is enforced.

no ISP is going to start charging for a service he now provides essentially
free. not if he wants to stay in business.

and where does this fee get applied ?

the ISP. his provider?, backbone providers?

I could see this fee very quickly concentrating into a few hands, and then
we have a monopolisation occuring.

how would it be charged ?

per port?, per email?

 Pull systems do not change this behaviour.  See recent spammer
behaviour of hosting web sites on trojaned machines.  They could just
as easily host mail for a "pull" system on the trojaned machine.

Trojaned machines are a major setback to any anti spam e-mail system.
regardless of type because they run with the parent machines permissions.

I have personally been IP blacklisted because my mail system was on the same
shared machine as a vulnerable formmail script
(exactly the same effect as a trojan)

This problem is not confined to owners of windows desktop machines. ISP's
have it as well no matter what they run.

I don't see how any technical sender verification system can overcome this.
please feel free to enlighten me if one comes to mind.
(most I can think of would rely on forcing the ISP to play our way not
theirs)

A big legal stick may force ISP's to be more careful about allowing users
access to formmail etc. or smtp but thats not a technological solution, and
again only applicable where the law is enforced.

At least one benefit of a pull system is that the sender can't be dummied
even by a trojan. it may take over the the resources but incoming bounces
"message denied" etc.. will make it abundantly clear to the user that his
machine has been trojaned.

as it stands a trojan can take over a machine quietly send out e-mails,
return address them to no-one or some other joe and no one is the wiser. not
even the user unless his resource are exhausted by the trojan.

Regards
Chris