Re: [Asrg] 6. Proposals: MTA MARK vs port 25 filtering?

2004-01-18 20:53:41
See the list archives for flame wars involving people who want to
*send* messages from random PPP accounts, and random addresses via
DHCP.

BTDT, not our problem.  I'm sorry if they feel they're treated like
second class net citizens, but that's because they really are second
class net citizens.

Currently, I deliver mail from a cable-modem hosted MTA that also
hosts the backup MX for a domain I share with some friends. I relay
through smtp.comcast.net, so I'm not sure if you really count that.

That's the normal setup for consumer broadband.  Comcast would mark
their SMTP relay as "mail:yes" since that's where the mail's supposed
to be sent to the rest of the world.

However, I have encountered systems that check each machine in the

Me too.  You can't stop people from being stupid, although I'd think
that they'd notice that they're throwing away all mail from all
consumer ISPs.  I suppose that might be their goal.

I would be delighted to declare accountability for messages from my
own server, if only to remove the need for my ISP's relay.

It depends whether you have a static or DHCP address.  If it's static,
you should be able to set the mark data for the range assigned to you
just like you should be able to set your own rDNS.  If not, you don't
get what you don't pay for.  I realize that many cable DHCP addresses
change only every six months, but it's still DHCP and your ISP can't
provide contact info by rwhois.  I also realize that the practical
issue of getting semi-sentient ISPs to provide a way for their static
IP customers to update their own rDNS is a problem.

Regards,
http://www.taugh.com