Re: [Asrg] S/MIME

2004-03-23 13:51:08
On Mon, 22 Mar 2004, Barry Shein wrote:

On March 21, 2004 at 15:10 mbaugher(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com (Mark Baugher) wrote:

 > If we get forgery under control, then it is possible to apply reputation,
 > accreditation, blacklisting and other techniques to manage spam.  What am
 > missing?

That the USPS (and no doubt others) haven't been able to make much of
a dent in this in 200+ years?

I bet that if USPS did want to do this, the first
thing that they would do is to close down public mailboxes, and only
pickup mail from a locked box.

You and USPS would be the only entities with keys to your box. USPS
picking up mail there would know it was from you.

However, USPS has a goal of 'convienience', so that you can drop mail
into any mailbox anywhere, and (For a fee) have it go to anyone.

Sounds a lot like SMTP, hmm? (except for the fee)

--
David Maxwell, david(_at_)vex(_dot_)net|david(_at_)maxwell(_dot_)net -->
(About an Amiga rendering landscapes) It's not thinking, it's being artistic!