[Asrg] Re: Answering a lot of questions about e-postage in a few sentences

2004-04-23 21:32:32
Barry Shein wrote:
No activity towards establishing some reliable standards for metering
et al. It'd be difficult for a non-neutral party to just assert
standards in an area like this. It'd be better to outline some
potential standards and then get feedback from those with a reasonable
interest, the usual building of consensus cycle.

Sounds reasonable.

Whatever happened to MS's "caller-id"? Is that dead or did it
disappear into another group? Seemed there was a lot of talk about it
and since I've heard nothing. Did they ever manage to get a completed
example installed for their own domains?

MS's point man on C-ID, Harry Katz, is very active on the MARID WG list, ietf-mxcomp AT imc.org

The records for their domain include a number of hosts identified by IP address, as well as their MX's. Aside from a single IP with NXDOMAIN rDNS, all of the listed IPs have .microsoft.com PTR records. From that, plus the naming in those PTR records, I'm pretty sure their C-ID records do not include other corporations that send mail on their behalf. However, that doesn't mean that such mail would not be accepted by C-ID, because of it's header check ordering.

Philip Miller