[Asrg] IM2000

2004-04-24 07:16:14
Hi folks,
I have been doing a lot of digging around with various anti-spam proposals and
one thing that crossed my mind is in relation to IM2000.
(http://cr.yp.to/im2000.html)
Incase there is anyone here unaware, IM2000 essentially proposes pushing the
message queues back to the sender so that people closer to the recipient do not
have to pay and those closer to the sender are given more motivation for doing
something about the sender.
The proposal would require some significant infrastructure overhaul as would
many to get it implemented, but (and I am just thinking on my feat at the
moment) would it be possible to overlay something based on this onto the
existing infrastructure?

To expand, if your incoming mailserver rejects all inbound messages with a
transient error and notifies the recipient. The recipient can then elect to
allow any similar messages through if the remote server tries again within a
set period of time.
This may have to second guess how many times the remote server will retry
before giving up, and either allow or reject the message with a permanent error
if the recipient does not express their will in time.

Either way, if the message is legitimate but ends up being bounced, a clear
message could indicate why and recommend trying again or contacting the user
via other means to arrange to allow the message through.

What are the implications of running a system like this other than having to
develop a frontend for local users?
Regards,
Colin.