[Asrg] E-postage/hashcash - the future

2004-04-28 16:31:03

Written purely from the perspective of a lame user

From my way of thinking any form of payment ( monetary or value ) that is
imposed on email will eliminate most spam as it exists today.

I guess everyone realises that spam today is purely driven by the fact that
email is virtually free and a lot of email messages can be sent over a very
small period of time with little or no consequence to the sender.  The
premise has always been that a spammer only needs a very small response
rate to make the exercise profitable.

With that said, then a 'pay for email' system must work, right?  Well I
think it will but think a bit further into the future.

Once a 'pay for email' system in invoked does the payment therefore invoke
some responsibility on the payee for the email to be delivered?  I think
that in a legal sense that it does.  What we will see then is spam email
from legitimate sources.  Once large corporations realise that they have to
pay for email it will give them a sense of legitimacy and they will spam us
all.  Just like they do with the junk mail you get in your letter boxes
today.

So instead of an in box full of Vi(_at_)gra and medication messages, we will
start to receive emails from our discount stores, banks, etc,etc

Good thing?  Don't know for now.

John