Re: [Asrg] E-postage/hashcash - the future

2004-04-28 18:52:06
At 05:33 PM 4/28/2004, john(_dot_)oppler(_at_)gm(_dot_)com wrote:
In any case, I do see your point, but was just trying to express my opinion
as to what I think will happen if email is chargeable

It's about as useful as expressing an opinion as to what will happen when cars run on water.

You have to look at the obstacles to making it happen. Thinking about how nice it will be "when it happens" is a waste of time if it ain't never gonna happen.

The first obstacle to making it happen is getting the first 1/2 of the mail clients/servers on the 'net to sign-on to whatever plan we propose and implementing the necessary changes first, before there is any hope of payoff. The second obstacle is getting end users to agree to cut-off the last 1/2 of the mail clients/servers on the 'net (including aunt Sally with her old win95 box that can't be upgraded to a newer message system) once "critical mass" has been achieved, to force all the older clients/servers to upgrade or die so that the new system has 100% of the message traffic on the 'net. Both of these are *big* obstacles, and adding ePostage ON TOP OF THIS makes it considerably harder because we add a complicated payment scheme on top of a complicated system upgrade.

If it were easy it would have happened already by now. And we would all be driving cars powered by water.

jc