Re: [Asrg] E-postage/hashcash - the future

2004-04-28 19:49:23

In any case, I do see your point, but was just trying to express my
opinion
as to what I think will happen if email is chargeable

It's about as useful as expressing an opinion as to what will happen when
cars run on water.

Well, thank you for suggesting my opinion was useless

You have to look at the obstacles to making it happen.  Thinking about how

nice it will be "when it happens" is a waste of time if it ain't never
gonna happen.

I don't _have_ to do anything thank you!

I certainly was not suggesting a way to make the situation better, I
fully admit that, I simply I posted my opinion, which is based on what
_I_  think will happen next, regardless of which pay ' system' you plan to
introduce.

The first obstacle to making it happen is getting the first 1/2 of the
mail
clients/servers on the 'net to sign-on to whatever plan we propose and
implementing the necessary changes first, before there is any hope of
payoff.  The second obstacle is getting end users to agree to cut-off the
last 1/2 of the mail clients/servers on the 'net (including aunt Sally
with
her old win95 box that can't be upgraded to a newer message system) once
"critical mass" has been achieved, to force all the older clients/servers
to upgrade or die so that the new system has 100% of the message traffic
on
the 'net.  Both of these are *big* obstacles, and adding ePostage ON TOP
OF
THIS makes it considerably harder because we add a complicated payment
scheme on top of a complicated system upgrade.

The only way to stop spam is at the delivery point.
The certificates and/or payment schemes need to be a ISP
level, not at the user level.  The user should not be involved at all.
In my opinion this is an industry problem, not a
problem than needs any action by the user.

If it were easy it would have happened already by now.  And we would all
be
driving cars powered by water.

Please, please, please stop using cheesy analogies.  There are already cars
that use
water for fuel.  The reason they are not released for the general public
may not be obvious to you.