Re: [Asrg] draft-irtf-asrg-bcp-blacklists-00

2004-05-05 10:17:02
"Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <pbaker(_at_)verisign(_dot_)com> wrote:

Because you probably won't continue to block their messages, once they
(for example) start spewing through the zombie armies.

It is completely illogical to block mail from a provider because
they have a zombie on their net. There is not a single ISP in this
country who could guarantee that they did not have any.

However, there are some who take action to block and clean the zombie,
and others who don't.

The way to deal with zombies is to have a better response protocol
to put ISPs on notice that they have a problem with a particular
address. Most ISPs do not want to be hosting zombies on their net
and they will kill them the moment they find out about them.

For a rather small value of "Most ISPs", at least based on the content
of my mailbox.

That is if the comunication reaches the right part of the company.

I don't have time to throw a brick through the CEO's home window with
the IP written on it for every zombie spam I get.

Merely sending a complaint to the published abuse address often leads
to no action at all, beyond perhaps and auto-ignorebot response.

Blacklisting zombies is certainly legit. But blacklisting every
other user of that ISP is not.

Since when do you get to define "legit"?  My toys, my rules; blocking
whatever I feel like blocking is legit, and if you don't like it feel
free not to buy service from me (as if you could in the first place).

Taking action to move the pain back to the non-responsive ISP is
legit and appropriate.  If you don't want that to hurt you, don't be
(a customer of) such an ISP.

Seth