RE: [Asrg] draft-irtf-asrg-bcp-blacklists-00

2004-05-05 19:17:17
At 7:16 AM -0700 5/5/04, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
 Most ISPs do not want to be hosting zombies on their net
and they will kill them the moment they find out about them. That
is if the comunication reaches the right part of the company.

That may be true in a trivial sense (because there are more small ISP's than big ones) but it is not true that the ISP's hosting the largest numbers of zombies act that way. I know for a fact that at least one of the largest broadband providers in the US does NOT do so as a matter of intentional considered policy because they do not have the support resources to handle all the calls they would get if they cut off zombies as fast as they can identify them. This seems a very likely business condition for most of the similarly situated ILEC and cable providers who act as if they have an obligation to service customers no matter what, much as they may be legally required to do in their older lines of business. Whether that tendency is really a legal issue (as some ISP abuse staff of dubious legal credentials have implied to me) or is a matter of not wishing to trigger a legal test or is simply an issue of corporate culture, I cannot say.

--
Bill Cole
bill(_at_)scconsult(_dot_)com