Re: [Asrg] A response to the critique of my anti-spam system

2004-12-13 12:19:43
By accepted he means that your SMTP server will have received all the email
sent to it.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Kaplan" <mkaplansolution(_at_)lycos(_dot_)com>
To: "Devdas Bhagat" <devdas(_at_)dvb(_dot_)homelinux(_dot_)org>
Cc: <asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Monday, December 13, 2004 10:47 AM
Subject: Re: [Asrg] A response to the critique of my anti-spam system

I admit that my knowledge of mail systems is finite, and I am not sure
what you mean by "accepted," but this is how I envision current mail systems
function as compared to my system:

Current mail systems
Email arrives at the server and white listed email is passed on to the
recipients inbox, everything else is passed through a filter >>> A strong
filter removes 99% of spam and on a rare occasion a legitimate email.  The
filtered spam is either discarded or sent to a bulk mail folder >>>
Everything that escapes the filter arrives in the recipients inbox.

My system
Email arrives at the server and white listed email and email that contains
a valid sub-address is passed on to the recipients inbox, everything else is
passed through a filter >>> A weak filter removes 95% of spam and on an
extremely rare occasion a legitimate email.  The filtered spam is discarded
A bounce is sent out to the 5% of email that made it through the filter.

Would everyone agree that this is more or less correct?  My system does
not require that all email be accepted any more than current email systems.
If your current email system uses a bulk email folder than in actuality your
current system is 'accepting everything.'

Sincerely,
Michael Kaplan