Re: [Asrg] A response to the critique of my anti-spam system

2004-12-13 02:54:17

Michael,

You write:

The theoretical maximum increase in email traffic that this system could
generate would be 100%

Correct.

The near perfect efficacy of my system for blocking spam would justify
such expenditure.

No it wouldn't, such expenditure represents for infrastructure providers a
100% increase in investment in hardware and bandwidth for systems handling
email.
There is no way you could call this acceptable.
One of the key drivers behind the search for effective spam reduction is
that it would *reduce* the infrastructure investment required to handle
unwanted mail. Your system quite clearly increases the required investment.

How would you feel if your email provider said to you
“I know you are overwhelmed by spam and that this system will virtually
eliminate
it but doing so could cause a near doubling of your email traffic so you
can’t
use it and you must live with this spam burden forever”?

Wrong perspective. The ISP's statement should be rephrased as
"I know you are overwhelmed by spam and this system will virtually
eliminate it but to provide it we will double the fee we charge for your
email service simply to handle the existing volume. Incremental increases
in capacity required to handle increased levels of incoming spam will
likewise require double the current incremental charge. Perhaps you would
prefer to allow us to invest in several less effective solutions which will
reduce but not elimiate the unwanted email more cost effectively."

<snip>

I am not arguing that my system is absolute perfection, or that it suits
the needs of every email user in the world.
 I only argue that it is vastly superior to anything else out there.
Take for example a typical AOL user.
Almost every AOL user is plagued by tremendous amounts of spam

I don't think AOL could raise the capital required to double their mail
traffic capacity, where would the ROI come from?

<snip>

I ask you:  Is there any other system out there that,
even when applied to a hundred million people, could eliminate nearly
100%
of spam as my system would for a typical user

Your system doesn't elimiate it it merely hides it from the intended
recipient by introducing an automated challenge response systrem.
The goal should be to identify and elimiate it from the system as near to
the sender as is possible and thereby gain cost savings on the delivery of
wanted messages by reducing the ratio of wanted to unwanted.

<snip>

Is there any other comparable system that is as easy to integrate into
current email architecture?

Easy perhaps, but prohibitively expensive by design.

Before you reject my system can you suggest one that is in any way
comparable?
Is the status quo superior?
Are you holding out hope for an as of yet unknown but better system?
Have you totally given up any hope for a truly effective anti-spam
system?

Spam is not a deterministic problem. We are unlikely to achieve a single
deterministic solution.
Efforts (IMHO) to effectively reduce the burden on systems caused by spam
are likely to involve many initiatives which when taken together can also
operate non-deterministically.

I accept your criticisms, but I view them as relatively minor given the
likely efficacy of this system.

I'm not quite sure what the point of you asking us to comment was then!

Many people such as business people may decide to forgo this system.
However, this system would be the FUSSP for the enormous population of
typical users

What do you think a typical user is, and what data did you analyse to form
this assumption?

Asked to make a similar assumption I would say that the typical victim of
spam was the mail provider,
particularly business for whom there is a real and proportional dollar cost
associated with providing
the capacity required to handle their unwanted email.

out there for whom the relatively minor detractions are not important.

I'm sorry but I really don't think that cost can be described as a minor
distraction for most service providers, however big or small!

d.

The information in this e-mail is confidential and for use by the addressee(s)
only. If you are not the intended recipient (or responsible for delivery of the
message to the intended recipient) please notify us immediately on 0141 306
2050 and delete the message from your computer. You may not copy or forward it
or use or disclose its contents to any other person. As Internet communications
are capable of data corruption Student Loans Company Limited does not accept
any  responsibility for changes made to this message after it was sent. For
this reason it may be inappropriate to rely on advice or opinions contained in
an e-mail without obtaining written confirmation of it. Neither Student Loans
Company Limited or the sender accepts any liability or responsibility for
viruses as it is your responsibility to scan attachments (if any). Opinions and
views expressed in this e-mail are those of the sender and may not reflect the
opinions and views of The Student Loans Company Limited.

presence of computer viruses.