RE: [Asrg] A response to the critique of my anti-spam system

2004-12-10 07:07:57

-----Original Message-----
From: asrg-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:asrg-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of
der Mouse

If you mean a purely technical system - yes.  Spam is not a
fundamentally technical problem; fundamentally technical approaches will
not eradicate it.

No they wont. But certain types of filters (I have statistical filters
in mind here) are very effective, are not controversial (look at all the
heat over SPF, etc), and can be deployed by individuals without
requiring infrastructure changes.

Patching the existing SMTP infrastructure in an effort to eliminate spam
is looking increasingly futile. Only a wholesale, and thus highly
improbable, change in infrastructure, including a move to IPv6, would
solve the spam problem. Until that time, technical attempts are far
preferable to legal and other political meddling. Not to mention
patent-encumbered, half-baked proposals...

Brian Azzopardi

This mail was checked for viruses by GFI MailSecurity.
GFI also develops anti-spam software (GFI MailEssentials), a fax server (GFI
FAXmaker), and network security and management software (GFI LANguard) -
www.gfi.com