Re: [Asrg] A response to the critique of my anti-spam system

2004-12-13 13:21:54
On 13/12/04 14:39 -0500, Michael Kaplan wrote:
The process is obviously pretty sophisticated, but it is also completely
compatible with my system.  With my system you can process email that
lacks a sub-address in the exact same way except for the final filtering
step, then you can send bounces to all the emails that make it through
the filter.

Did you see that graph? That graph shows over one million mails (1000000
mails) being processed per minute, for a random minute of the day.

Given that there is a 10% acceptance rate and that we still have our
users report about 15% to 20% of that as spam, we are looking at 80000
mails being processed per minute. Say that 25% of this is first contact
and you are looking at generating 40000 bounces per minute.

That is in addition to the normal outbound traffic (which is heavily
content filtered for 419 scammers), and you are looking at severe dents
to resources. And this will really impact smaller sites, which /will/ be
deluged by mail from large systems like that one.

Devdas Bhagat