Re: [Asrg] SICS

2004-12-23 13:20:28

On December 23, 2004 at 16:04 laird(_at_)lbreyer(_dot_)com (Laird Breyer) wrote:
BTW, the proxy scenario I gave above isn't intended to be a ready
solution, rather it's an argument to prop up my claim that handling
the invalid requests can be handled scalably.

All I get from it is that an in-memory hash or other fast lookup
algorithm, if it's not being used already, might speed up response
time assuming that your model improves on the resources which are
actually strapped.

That doesn't address scalability, it just shifts the knee of the curve
much like a faster CPU or more memory might.

Scalability has to address:

a) The critical resource(s)
b) Permutational effects

Where (b) is often subtle and significant. For example, if you use N
servers you have to load balance between them. How does that
decision-making scale as N increases. It's often somewhere between
O(N^2) and O(N!).

At any rate, as fascinating as some might find it I sincerely don't
believe the problem with spam, even at the ingress, is going to be
solved or even ameliorated for very long by some improvement in
recipient validity processing.

It's like someone breaking your windows unchallenged and someone says
I know, let's find cheaper ways to make window panes!

It helps no doubt but somehow misses the point, including whether the
cost is in the panes or installing the panes, etc.

--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | bzs(_at_)TheWorld(_dot_)com           |
http://www.TheWorld.com
The World              | Public Access Internet     | Since 1989     *oo*