RE: [Asrg] article: port 25 blocking

2005-04-12 11:46:07

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005, Mark wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: asrg-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:asrg-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On
Behalf Of Daniel Feenberg
Sent: dinsdag 12 april 2005 18:45
To: Danny Angus
Cc: asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org; asrg-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org; James Lick
Subject: Re: [Asrg] article: port 25 blocking

I have prepared a web page

http://www.nber.org/REASON-FOR-REJECTION/smarthost.html

SMTP.COM says: "Using your sending email address as an identifier,
SMTP.com's servers recognize you immediately, check your status in our
database, and deliver your email within seconds."

Since they force you to identify by "sending email address" (meaning you
can only use that one email address) they are, pardon my French,
hilariously unfit to be called a smarthost in the true sense; because a
true smarthost, like your own smtp server, is, of course, not ridiculously
tied to 1 email address! LOL :)

Agreed, but in my experience the operators of MTAs on dynamic addresses
have only one user. So it will do fine. The point here is not identify
best practice, but to gently convince the operator of a MTA on a dynamic
address that it isn't going to work, and that he needs to do something
else. Traducing his alternatives won't help me achieve that end.

- Mark

        System Administrator Asarian-host.org

---
"If you were supposed to understand it,