Re: [Asrg] Re: bounces, and anti-spam principles

2007-01-23 11:40:00

On Jan 23, 2007, at 9:54 AM, gep2(_at_)terabites(_dot_)com wrote:

In any case, I still contend that simplistic blocking by IP address or domain name is a very poor approach, and for a whole variety of reasons.

I will contend that there cannot be a content filter that can reliably separate spam from non spam. Any non-spam message received by one person would be spam if it were sent to 10 million harvested addresses. OTOH, taking the definition of spam as Unsolicited Bulk Email makes detecting a spamming IP address almost trivial. The trick is to stop accepting mail from that IP address only until it has cleaned up. Once the spam is gone there is no need to block the address unless it has proven to be a repeat offender without an effective process for shutting the spammers down.

-- Dan Oetting