Re: [Asrg] Re: bounces, and anit-spam principles

2007-01-23 12:46:44

Speaking as an ISP, what's unrealistic in these utopian end-user
filtering only arguments is costs.

Suffice it to say that we can add fast, capable mail servers and see
them flooded in a matter of hours.

Pushing all the filtering to the end-user would make that much
worse.

Being able to "slam the phone down" on miscreant IP blocks at the
accept() or helo is much, much, less processing than going thru the
entire SMTP interaction and whatever it takes to pass processing off
to an end-user.

Put another way, you can have almost unfiltered access and
near-perfect spam filtering!

Here's how to do it:

Get your own link to the backbone.

Set up your own mail servers etc.

Hire one or more secretaries to pre-screen your email according to
rules you have trained them in.

It might cost a few thousand a month, but surely in the face of all
this expressed urgency about the pitfalls of centralized filtering
it's a small price to pay.

Anyhow, as the old joke goes, we're not arguing about the principle,
we're arguing about the price.

--
        -Barry Shein

The World              | bzs(_at_)TheWorld(_dot_)com           |
http://www.TheWorld.com
Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Login: Nationwide