Re: [Asrg] Re: bounces, and anit-spam principles

2007-01-23 13:06:40
On 1/23/07, Barry Shein <bzs(_at_)world(_dot_)std(_dot_)com> wrote:
Suffice it to say that we can add fast, capable mail servers and see
them flooded in a matter of hours.

Pushing all the filtering to the end-user would make that much
worse.

not the filtering, just the filter configuration.  MTA-resident complex
content filtering with different per-recipient outcomes is not compatible
with recipient enumeration preceding the data block; therefore the
DATAFIRST ESMTP proposal I made some months ago.

Being able to "slam the phone down" on miscreant IP blocks at the
accept() or helo is much, much, less processing than going thru the
entire SMTP interaction and whatever it takes to pass processing off
to an end-user.

even less is turning them off at the firewall.