Re: [Asrg] Re: DNSBL BCP v.2.0

2007-02-14 18:35:36
Seth Breidbart wrote:
Matt Sergeant <msergeant(_at_)messagelabs(_dot_)com> wrote:
On 14-Feb-07, at 5:30 PM, Douglas Otis wrote:

A delisting interval is strictly related to DNSBL policy.  The
draft is not describing how to delist, but specifically when.  This
is about policy.  Nothing but policy.
Lets be more specific then: Your posts are all about listing
criteria. This draft does not (and never will with me as an author)
mandate listing criteria. That way lies madness.

Consider dsnbl.noprimes.org.

How often do you think it's reasonable to require me to check whether
a given number has turned composite while I wasn't looking?

With today's processors, it should be easy to go thru 2^^32 numbers in
six months.  But I think you'd be forgiven in assuming that the
prime/nonprimeship of a number won't change spontaneously.

Or, are you expecting some to do so? ;-)

DNSBLs aren't punishment methods.  First and foremost they're methods on
blocking abuse.  If a bad actor isn't acting bad enough to be obvious
that they're abusing for a period of six months, the loss of a listing
means nothing in the scheme of things, and soon corrected if it turns
out to be wrong/being gamed.