Re: [Asrg] DNSBL BCP v.2.0

2007-02-08 21:25:52
At 1:22 PM -0800 2/8/07, Nick Nicholas wrote:
Greetings:

With much help from the authors as well as the ASRG chair and Dave
Crocker, I have finally completed the revisions to the DNSBL BCP.  A
copy is beneath my .sig so that you may make your comments inline if
desired.  I tried to include as many comments as possible from the
discussion of the previous draft, but the authors and the editor deemed
it was necessary to decline to use some of the suggestions.

Flame away!  I'm wearing my Nomex suit.  :-)

Just a couple of minor quibbles:

3.2. Cessation of List Operations MUST Be Done in a Graceful Fashion.

   When a DNSBL ceases operations and is taken out of circulation,
   it MUST do so in a graceful manner so that it does not create
   excessive DNS queries or list the entire Internet.

   The recommended approach is to put the DNSBL in its own second
   level domain, and then point the DNS NS records for that second
   level domain to 127.255.255.255.

s/to/to a hostname that resolves to/

It's amazing how many people think that's it's OK to point an NS record at an IP address...

  The TTL for that record should be
   set at the maximum allowed period of one week.

One week is NOT the maximum value for a TTL. One week is the top value that BIND will honor. TTL's can in theory be about 68 years (2147483647.) Alternate wording:

   The TTL field for the NS record and the A record it points to should
   be set to 604800 (one week) because larger values are not universally
   honored.

--
Bill Cole
bill(_at_)scconsult(_dot_)com