Re: [Asrg] DNSBL BCP v.2.0

2007-02-08 20:34:33
On 8-Feb-07, at 9:20 PM, Tony Finch wrote:

1.1.  DNS-Based Reputation Systems

  DNSBLs are either public or
  private.  A public DNSBL makes its data available to any party
  seeking information from the list, but a private DNSBL is used=20
solely by an organization for its own use and the data is not made=20
  available publicly.

There are also commercial DNSBLs which are public except that "any party"
must be willing and able to pay.

I guess better wording might be: "but a private DNSBL restricts who has access to querying the list."

2.2.1.  Listings SHOULD Be Temporary.

  With the exception of DNSBLs that that are based on data that does
not change, such as those include the IP addresses associated with=20
  a specific country or geographic region, all listings SHOULD be=20
  temporary so that an entry will time out at some point in the=20
  future.

IP addresses can move country or region - consider an international ISP. I don't think there are any certain unchanging attributes of IP addresses.

I'd like to get more comment on that. Even international ISPs assign IP ranges within their country boundaries.

2.2.3.  Removals SHOULD Be Prompt.

  Requests for removal SHOULD be honored without question.

I think this requirement needs more hedging, since it depends on the
DNSBL listing policy. For example, the requirement is not appropriate
if the listing is based on who the address space has been allocated to,
especially if the reason is that it has been allocated to criminals.
In that case you expect to come into conflict with people who are listed.

I strongly believe this is covered by the verbiage in this section. Should a criminal spammer find himself listed in the SBL (for example), he should be allowed to immediately request removal, and be granted that. As soon as he spams, he should be immediately relisted. And the limits on removals be made harder for him/her - see the second to last sentence in that first paragraph. The intention is to make innocent listings easy to remove, and criminal listings harder to remove.

3.2. Cessation of List Operations MUST Be Done in a Graceful Fashion.

  When a DNSBL ceases operations and is taken out of circulation,
  it MUST do so in a graceful manner so that it does not create=20
  excessive DNS queries or list the entire Internet.

What do you mean by "excessive"? Is this a reference to insane DNS
clients that generate more traffic when a DNS server goes away?

A typical example of shutting down a DNSBL would involve setting the TTL to a very high value, to limit the number of queries that result.

4. Security Considerations

  Like all DNS-based mechanisms, DNSBLs are subject to various=20
  threats outlined in [RFC 3833].

The recommendations for DNSBL users should be in this section. It's worth
emphasizing that spam is a security problem and that DNSBLs are one
of many ways to tackle it. DNSBLs usually relate to the SMTP client,
which can have a limited relationship to the origin of the message if
the client is relaying or forwarding. However RHSBLs exist as well,
which have no guaranteed relationship to the client or the origin of
the message, but can still be useful.

I'm not sure we want to venture into that cesspool :-) But I'm willing to be persuaded otherwise.