Re: [Asrg] DNSBL BCP v.2.0

2007-02-21 11:57:07
At 17:12 20-02-2007, Chris Lewis wrote:
I think the intent here is not that the DNSBL publishes it (they often
don't know), but the user should consider this - eg: do other site like
me use it?

Generally DNSBL operators don't publish such information. The information is also not published in comparative evaluations. Your question "Do other sites like me use it?" is more to the point. The Guidance for DNSBL users questions are straight-forward except for question 7.

Which would have lower risk?  Somewhere in upper 127, or 192.0?

The 192.0.2.0/24 block is assigned as "TEST-NET". It should not appear on the public Internet (RFC 3330). Pointing the DNS NS record to 192.0.2.2 will cause a query timeout. The DNSBL user may notice the slow down in mail delivery and take appropriate action. The purpose is not to cause any harm. In my opinion, 192.0.2 should have a lower risk than the upper 127 as it is not associated with the loopback address. I suggested 192.0.2.2/32 as it makes troubleshooting easier.

Thank you for the clarifications.

Regards,
-sm