Re: [Asrg] New draft draft-irtf-asrg-bcp-blacklists-01.txt

2008-03-26 12:55:48
Douglas Otis <dotis(_at_)mail-abuse(_dot_)org> wrote:

Some BL policies do not adhere to the dubious philosophy expressed in
section 2.2.1  and  2.2.3.

2.2.1.  Listings SHOULD Be Temporary

2.2.3.  Removals SHOULD Be Prompt

Automatic de-listing can be highly counter productive in controlling
IP address ranges previously producing substantial levels of abuse.

IME as a customer of MAPS, a high proportion of the RBL+'s false positives
that have caused us problems have been caused by MAPS's policy of not
expiring or at least periodically revalidating listings in the RSS. I
particularly remember a problem with an address range that had been
re-allocated to an entirely innocent third party who were suffering
because of data that was several years out of date. It's worse that
MAPS wouldn't accept bug reports from us. We no longer use that part of
the RBL+.

Based on that experience, I think the BCP is right.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <dot(_at_)dotat(_dot_)at>  http://dotat.at/
MALIN HEBRIDES: MAINLY NORTH OR NORTHWEST 3 OR 4, OCCASIONALLY 5. SLIGHT OR