Re: [Asrg] New draft draft-irtf-asrg-bcp-blacklists-01.txt

2008-03-29 22:42:26

On Mar 26, 2008, at 9:55 AM, Tony Finch wrote:

Douglas Otis <dotis(_at_)mail-abuse(_dot_)org> wrote:

Some BL policies do not adhere to the dubious philosophy expressed in
section 2.2.1  and  2.2.3.

2.2.1.  Listings SHOULD Be Temporary

2.2.3.  Removals SHOULD Be Prompt

Automatic de-listing can be highly counter productive in controlling
IP address ranges previously producing substantial levels of abuse.

IME as a customer of MAPS, a high proportion of the RBL+'s false
positives that have caused us problems have been caused by MAPS's
policy of not expiring or at least periodically revalidating
listings in the RSS. I particularly remember a problem with an
address range that had been re-allocated to an entirely innocent
third party who were suffering because of data that was several
years out of date. It's worse that MAPS wouldn't accept bug reports
from us. We no longer use that part of the RBL+.

Based on that experience, I think the BCP is right.

Tony,

RSS listings offer automatic retesting and removals without involving
network operators, only a request needs to be made via the supporting
website.  There should be no reason for a listing not to be removed?
If you were misinformed, this is most unfortunate.

See:
http://www.mail-abuse.com/removereq_rss.html

Both open proxy and open relay listings are _not_ routinely retested
without request.  Open relays and proxies stay active for years, and
often appear used for purposes unaffected by black-hole lists.

-Doug