Re: [Asrg] Round 2 of the DNSBL BCP - domain test name

2008-04-04 15:04:03
According to RFC 2606, the reserved top level domain names are:

                   .test
                .example
                .invalid
              .localhost

      ".test" is recommended for use in testing of current or new DNS
      related code.

      ".example" is recommended for use in documentation or as examples.

      ".invalid" is intended for use in online construction of domain
      names that are sure to be invalid and which it is obvious at a
      glance are invalid.

      The ".localhost" TLD has traditionally been statically defined in
      host DNS implementations as having an A record pointing to the
      loop back IP address and is reserved for such use.  Any other use
      would conflict with widely deployed code which assumes this use.

It also reserves example.{com|net|org}

My inclination would be to decree that DNSBL.TEST is the test name for
domain name BLs.  No matter what string we use, there will always be
the possibility of a false alarm if it's used by scanners that recognize
it without the http:// punctuation.  There's no way around that, so I
wouldn't worry about it.

R's,
John