Re: [Asrg] Another dnsbl draft, now standards flavored

2008-07-25 08:31:13
As I read it, if you want to embed v4 addresses in v6, here's where
you do it, but in fact nobody does.

Either you don't use dual-stack Linux boxen or there's something I'm
missing.

I have a fair number of network programs that I've gone to some pains
to make v6-ready.  When I build and use them on Linux - any Linux, in
my admittedly quite limited experience - I see behaviour indicating
that tcp4 connections to port N in the presence of a process listening
on tcp6 port N get turned into tcp6 connections with a mapped-v4
address for the (v4-speaking) peer.  This is particularly annoying
because it means that, after binding a v6 socket listening on port N,
an attempt to bind a v4 socket listening on port N gets an
address-already-in-use error.  (There's really nothing like
compatability - and that's nothing like it.)

I forget whether v4 gets mapped into v6 this particular way
(::ffff:x.y.z.w) or some other way.

/~\ The ASCII                           der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML                mouse(_at_)rodents-montreal(_dot_)org