Re: [Asrg] FeedBack loops

2008-11-14 12:35:36

--On 14 November 2008 09:41:48 -0500 Rich Kulawiec <rsk(_at_)gsp(_dot_)org>
wrote:

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 08:18:31AM -0500, Chris Lewis wrote:
The MAAWG sender BCP talks about saying that unsubs should be a "single
action", and not require any additional information (eg: "confirmation
cycle" or password).

Each email message's unsub links should contain everything needed to do
an unsub in one action - the user doesn't need to know another password,
and then goes on to say that if malicious unsubscriptions are a concern,
that "everything" could include a magic cookie that only the recipient
of the email sees (in the link) that serves as a password for the unsubs.

This sounds reasonable, but I have some concerns with it.

First, it requires sending individual messages to each subscriber,
doesn't it?  Which in turn increases mail traffic, because it's no
longer possible to deliver the same message to some/all subscribers
at a given MX.

It does. But, 90% of my site's inbound email is to single recipients. And, all my outbound list traffic is VERP'd anyway.
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex
x3148