Re: [Asrg] FeedBack loops

2008-11-14 07:58:07
[Unsubs] needn't require confirmation.
A decade ago, I would have concurred with this, but given ensuing
events, I think it's now a best practice to require confirmation in
order to forestall the inevitable abuse.

I'm not convinced.  Forge-unsubbing someone from a list does not gain
the unsubber anything directly (for most lists), so it's useful mostly
as a harassment mechanism.  This means that a few prominent people need
it; so do a few unusual lists.  But most subscriptions to most lists do
not, I think, need unsub confirmations.  Ideally, I think, unsub
confirmations should be an option that the individual subscriber can
turn on (for the prominent people) or a listadmin can turn on (for the
unusual lists), but which is normally off.

Or is there history I'm not aware of indicating that most subscriptions
to most lists _do_ need unsub confirmations?

\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML                mouse(_at_)rodents-montreal(_dot_)org