Re: [Asrg] FeedBack loops

2008-11-14 07:42:32
From what I've seen, feedback loops are mostly useful in two situations:

- ESPs and others who send a lot of list mail, to catch both people who
subscribed and changed their minds, or for an ESP, lists that are not
what the customer claimed they were

- ISPs and others with large farms of PCs, to identify zombies and
misbehaving customers

If you run a well behaved network, most of the FBL reports will be
wrong.  Think of it as having a relatively constant level of noise,
and if your spam signal is low, all you'll see is the noise.  This
doesn't mean they're useless, it means you're not who they were
designed for.

I have, by the way, in the case of *some* lists, tried the approach
of removing those reporting ordinary list traffic as spam.  One of the
things I've noticed is that a significant percentage re-subscribe,
then subsequently report more ordinary list traffic as spam.  I've even
noticed a handful of people reporting *their own messages to a list* as spam.

Sure.  So?  Serves them right.

R's,
John