Re: [Asrg] FeedBack loops

2008-11-13 14:44:33

How about: If it's commercial, and it hasn't been paid for by the
sender (i.e., to the ISP who might pass that along as s/he sees fit),
and the ISP declares that it should have been paid for, then it is
spam?

Period. The rest is implementation detail.

I mean, how f****** crazy have we become?

The only way to make a resource valuable is to make it scarce.

We have done quite the opposite on the spam front so encouraged its
proliferation.

Q1. But what is commercial? And how high is the sky? And what's the
meaning of summer?

A1.1 It's commercial if the ISP says it is. Don't like the definition?
POUND DIRT, find another provider, etc.

Q2. But how are you going to make this policy airtight and perfectly
impermeable because as WE ALL KNOW if just ONE message slips thru
unbilled then WE MUST LET ALL MESSAGES THROUGH FOR FREE!

A2.1 Is your whole family mentally ill, or is it just you?

A2.2 Charging for something creates an economics around its
control. So how well is the IETF paying y'all to participate in ASRG?
Oh, right, yeah I know...phew (shakes head in disbelief.) See A2.1.

Q3. But it's morally wrong to charge for commercial (i.e., any) email!
Your customers are already paying for it! What about commercial email
THEY WANT!

A3.1 I assume this is the reason your postal service delivers all your
(commercial) mail w/o charging postage? Ooops, waitaminit.

A3.1 See A2.1.

---

Put simply, anti-spam should be a process of creating a cost to
sending commercial (and, by extension, any) email: to delineating and
implementing policies, protocols, etc.

Any other goal (sub-goals aside), like how are we going to keep this
all you can eat party going and just discourage people who eat too
much (why, some fill their pockets!!!) is nutso nutso nutso.

--
        -Barry Shein

The World              | bzs(_at_)TheWorld(_dot_)com           |
http://www.TheWorld.com
Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Login: Nationwide