Re: [Asrg] FeedBack loops

2008-11-13 11:22:11

On Nov 13, 2008, at 8:12 AM, Rich Kulawiec wrote:

I have considerably more analysis to do, but it appears to me at this
time that the AOL "report as spam" button has been used exclusively:

        - in error
        - as a substitute for unsubscribing
        - as a means of expressing disagreement with message content
        - as a means of expressing antipathy toward message sender

Note that three out of four of those are people telling you
that you're sending them mail they don't want to receive.

That's... well, that's as good a working definition of spam as any
from the recipient perspective.

And in the fourth case ("in error") you really need to take their
report as true, even if you're fairly sure it isn't - who are you to
tell the recipient that the mail they are telling you that they
don't want really is mail they want?

If it's the word "spam" that's causing you to waste so much
time over this issue then forget that word. Read it as "mail
the recipient doesn't want", stop sending that mail to that
recipient and move on.

It's really not rocket science, and
it's operationally fairly easy compared to some other email
related issues. (Not so easy that it's immediately obvious,
though, so a "Dick and Jane handle FBLs" document would
be nice).

Cheers,
  Steve