Re: [Asrg] FeedBack loops

2008-11-13 15:09:28
I feel, there is a need to have a protocol working before advising it as a best
practice.

This could be a task for this research group (I'm not volunterring here ;) )

How to analyse email headers and have a successful unsubscription when user
says "no more", otherwise report as spam.

Cheers
----- Original Message -----
From: "J.D. Falk" <jdfalk(_at_)returnpath(_dot_)net>
To: "Anti-Spam Research Group - IRTF" <asrg(_at_)irtf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Friday, 14 November, 2008 7:58:07 AM (GMT+1200) Auto-Detected
Subject: Re: [Asrg] FeedBack loops

On 13/11/2008 12:53, "Franck Martin" <franck(_at_)avonsys(_dot_)com> wrote:

So I understand, the misnomer of the SPAM button in some cases. But as
inidicated, the logic behind the SPAM button could be to check if there is an
unsubscribe and act on it. Saying that all the spammers will add an
unsubscribe header to make sure their mails are not realy flag as SPAM. So I
guess there must an unsubscribe header and some dkim or other authentication
form... There is an idea here... it needs more thoughts?

It's been discussed many times. Hotmail kinda sorta has something like that
already, and there was an early-alpha Thunderbird plugin floating around for
a while.

This is an area where we need to see some actual MUA-level experimentation
before we can codify a best practice.