Re: [Asrg] FeedBack loops

2008-11-13 14:53:28
On the unsubscribing.

First the unsubscribe headers are hidden from the normal user, and when mailing
list add info at the bottom like on this one, the majority of people don't read
or understand the footer.

So the "SPAM" button, means most of the time in general I don't want to receive
anymore of these emails.

Also, the education to users has been do not reply to unsubscribe notices,
you'll just make it worse.

So I understand, the misnomer of the SPAM button in some cases. But as
inidicated, the logic behind the SPAM button could be to check if there is an
unsubscribe and act on it. Saying that all the spammers will add an unsubscribe
header to make sure their mails are not realy flag as SPAM. So I guess there
must an unsubscribe header and some dkim or other authentication form... There
is an idea here... it needs more thoughts?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Atkins" <steve(_at_)blighty(_dot_)com>
To: "Anti-Spam Research Group - IRTF" <asrg(_at_)irtf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Friday, 14 November, 2008 4:21:58 AM (GMT+1200) Auto-Detected
Subject: Re: [Asrg] FeedBack loops

On Nov 13, 2008, at 8:12 AM, Rich Kulawiec wrote:

I have considerably more analysis to do, but it appears to me at this
time that the AOL "report as spam" button has been used exclusively:

- in error
- as a substitute for unsubscribing
- as a means of expressing disagreement with message content
- as a means of expressing antipathy toward message sender

Note that three out of four of those are people telling you
that you're sending them mail they don't want to receive.

That's... well, that's as good a working definition of spam as any
from the recipient perspective.