Re: [Asrg] Email Postage (was Re: FeedBack loops)

2008-11-17 13:46:36

On November 17, 2008 at 08:25 sethb(_at_)panix(_dot_)com (Seth) wrote:
Barry Shein <bzs(_at_)world(_dot_)std(_dot_)com> wrote:

As far as I know SSL hasn't been cracked directly.

If your grandmother can send mail from her PC, what's to stop the
spammer who zombied it from sending mail the same way?

Limits don't matter; the spammer has tens of millions of zombies, so
will send from each the amount of email a real person might.

Well, limits don't make it impossible for the spammer as you point out
but they might slow the spammer down.

I don't think there's any system which will relieve the world of
solving the problem of mega-zombie networks by itself.

As we've seen, such bot-armies can take down rather capable sites and
demand ransoms or just disrupt things for whatever reason including
political.

But right now one problem is that there isn't much financial incentive
for, in particular, big ISPs to get more pro-active about the bot-army
problem. I think everyone agrees that's one reason these bot-armies
persist.

So my proposal is to try to add some of that missing financial
incentive into the system.

Money has a way of focusing the mind.

--
        -Barry Shein

The World              | bzs(_at_)TheWorld(_dot_)com           |
http://www.TheWorld.com
Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Login: Nationwide