Re: [Asrg] Email Postage (was Re: FeedBack loops)

2008-11-20 15:23:55

On Nov 20, 2008, at 7:37 AM, Jeff Macdonald wrote:

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 06:59:32AM -0800, Gerald Klaas wrote:
Yes, a stamp is proof of payment, but that "payment" isn't necessarily
 cash.  It may be proof of passing through various checks, such as
having established a connection to a stamp-generator (and leaving your
 real IP address behind in the logs).

Why not have a stamp be a proof of a relationship instead of "payment"?

Like, say, DKIM-based whitelisting?

If there isn't some additional cost, direct or indirect, to the sender for each email sent, I don't think it's something I'd call postage or stamps or any other snailmail sort of metaphor. (Which doesn't mean it may not be a good approach,
just that calling it epostage might be a bit of a stretch).

Cheers,
  Steve