Re: [Asrg] moving the two DNSBL drafts forward

2008-11-25 08:29:59
   A DNSxL is a zone in the DNS[RFC1034][RFC1035].  The zone containing
   resource records identifies hosts present in a blacklist or
   whitelist.  Hosts were originally encoded into DNSxL zones using a

A 'zone' is an administrative construct, rather than a queriable
user-visible semantic construct, such as a sub-tree.  If 'zone' is in
fact correct, why?  If not, then I suggest saying sub-tree.

In practice they're always zones, but I suppose subtree would be more
accurate.

   If a range of addresses is listed in the DNSxL, the DNSxL MUST
   contain an A record (or a pair of A and TXT records) for every
   address in the DNSxL.  Conversely, if an IP address is not listed in

Each address results in a different queriable domain name
<reverse-addre>.<service domain>, so I think the requirement is
deeper than just separate pseudo-A records: each must have its own
name (and, yes, each with its own A record underneath.)

Hmmn.  I'll think about rewording it.

   Any system manager that uses DNSxLs is entrusting part of his or her

his or her -> their

No.

R's,
John