Re: [Asrg] attention bonds, was Email Postage

2008-11-27 12:20:40

Well, I realize there's a lot of emotional investment in this "moral
hazard" view of spam as "stuff I don't want and/or didn't ask for" but
I still think a more reasonable definition is bulk email which is
unpaid for (analogous to postage.)

I don't particularly care if it was solicited or not. If I call Sears
and ask them to send me a catalogue that doesn't compel the post
office to bring it to me for free (I don't think Sears has a catalogue
any longer, but whatever.)

It also removes most of the judgement. Who really wants to argue
whether something is "solicited" or not?

It's a rathole. For example, subsidiaries, partners, etc. Ebay owns
paypal, so if you told ebay to send you updates does that mean paypal
can also send you "updates"?

Also, I bought like one or two little things from Amazon a while back
and to this day they send me email every single day pitching
something, often trying to relate it back to the book I bought in some
way but often not, just random, or very general (buy anything over $XX
by Friday and shipping is FREE!)

Is that spam?

I don't really care. I just think if they had to pay for delivery
maybe they wouldn't pelt me and everyone else daily.

Right now the only thing which limits Amazon (et al) is what volume
they imagine will really piss me off at them and they try to stay on
the safe side of that, it's purely PR and marketing.

Apparently that's once per day except sometimes when it's twice a day
because there's something really, really important coming up like
Christmas, or Tuesday.

Anyhow, go ahead, keep trying to make up an entire economic and
justice system.

Unfortunately, lacking any leadership, the big backbone types have
another plan, net non-neutrality.

--
        -Barry Shein

The World              | bzs(_at_)TheWorld(_dot_)com           |
http://www.TheWorld.com
Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Login: Nationwide