Re: [Asrg] attention bonds, was Email Postage

2008-11-25 16:17:00
Rich Kulawiec wrote:
On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 09:11:47AM -0600, mathew wrote:

The last time I received spam sent by a friend's system was... never. I'm
sure it happens, but the fact that it does isn't a consideration as far as
*I* am concerned.

If you are going to propose a global solution, then you must take account
global problems.

Indeed.

He's almost certainly been spammed by a friend's system.  Lots. It's
seldom obvious, and usually indirect, but the reality is that once a
machine is owned, just about _anything_ can happen.  Why haven't they
been "getting around" SSL and S/Mime?  Because they haven't needed to
... yet.  There's relatively limited benefit for the effort.  But once a
"solution" that uses them becomes common and popular, it _will_.