Re: [Asrg] attention bonds, was Email Postage

2008-11-25 11:51:53
On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 10:46, Rich Kulawiec <rsk(_at_)gsp(_dot_)org> wrote:

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 09:11:47AM -0600, mathew wrote:
So, how come SSL hasn't been hacked around?

Why should anyone bother?

To phish.

 Any proposal like this
must also be accompanied by a viable plan to un-compromise those
systems
and keep them that way.  Otherwise it's dead on arrival.

In that case, all proposals are dead on arrival and we may as well shut
down
this list.

No, there are plenty of other ideas (and implemented systems) which do not
rely on the presumed integrity of those end-user systems.

Such as?

Since the definition of spam, for me, is what I say it is [...]

That is not the correct definition of spam.  The correct definition
of spam (in the context of SMTP) is "unsolicited bulk email".

And who, other than me, knows what I solicited?

The last time I received spam sent by a friend's system was... never. I'm
sure it happens, but the fact that it does isn't a consideration as far
as
*I* am concerned.

If you are going to propose a global solution, then you must take account
global problems.

Maybe you have a different definition of "global". To me, a global solution
is one that is not restricted by geography; it's not necessarily a system
that anyone can use. The telephone network is a global system, but there are
still plenty of people who can't afford or can't use a telephone.

mathew