Re: [Asrg] is SMTP still really store-and-forward ?

2008-11-28 15:17:22
David Nicol wrote:

I believe that the requirement "support store-and-forward
transparently" may be safely dropped from the needs of the FUSSP; I
believe that systems that forward without rewriting the envelope
return address are to be considered broken.  I therefore prefer SPF to
DKIM, while respecting that DKIM works and does handle forwarding
better.

Your list article traversed _four_ store-and-forward hops after leaving
the IETF mail server before getting to me - and those are just our
internal MTAs.  And it looks like it went thru several store-and-forward
hops getting from your account on gmail to the IETF, and a couple inside
the IETF.

There's one heck of a lot of Received lines in there...

Store-and-forward is going to be with us for quite a while yet, even
without Internet open-relays.