Re: [Asrg] is SMTP still really store-and-forward ?

2008-11-29 06:59:02
SM wrote:
At 15:29 28-11-2008, David Nicol wrote:
There are some assertions that I think are true and which apparently
aren't obvious, such as

1:  operations internal to a realm are outside the scope of proposals

Could you define "realm"? Is that similar to ADMD? A message can be relayed through several administrative entities before final delivery. These entities might only have weak relationships between then. I don't think it's possible to segment the entire delivery path into two parts.

If you follow the path of a given message, you find exactly one point where an MTA looks up the global DNS, determines a target host in the recipient domain's MX, and delivers to one of them. The boundary between the two realms lays in the middle of that hop. (Further hops from a backup MX to a higher priority one are conventionally in the recipient's realm.)

That doesn't necessarily coincide with an ADMD.

In case the message is further forwarded, e.g. this message, there must be a host who holds the additional piece of data that I call a forwarding recipe(*). The next segment is part of the recipient realm, if the target address in the recipe is being used with the permission of its owner.

[*]  http://fixforwarding.org/wiki/forwarding_recipe