Re: [Asrg] is SMTP still really store-and-forward ?

2008-11-29 12:05:06
At 03:58 29-11-2008, Alessandro Vesely wrote:
In case the message is further forwarded, e.g. this message, there must be a host who holds the additional piece of data that I call a forwarding recipe(*). The next segment is part of the recipient realm, if the target address in the recipe is being used with the permission of its owner.

The "forward" in "store-and-forward" is not the same as forwarding. The concept is not limited to the Internet mail architecture. It preserves data integrity and does not require full connectivity. Let's say you have a mobile device running a mail service. As you are moving, the device may detect a communication point which could be used for a message transfer. It's somewhat like cell phone roaming with the difference that it doesn't require prior agreement to communicate.

Your forwarding recipe prescribes that a DSN must follow the reverse of the path of the original message. It prevents having asynchronous paths which are quite common in communication networks. That forwarding fix reminds me of source routing.

Regards,
-sm