Re: [Asrg] is SMTP still really store-and-forward ?

2008-11-28 19:14:10
At 15:29 28-11-2008, David Nicol wrote:
There are some assertions that I think are true and which apparently
aren't obvious, such as

1:  operations internal to a realm are outside the scope of proposals

Could you define "realm"? Is that similar to ADMD? A message can be relayed through several administrative entities before final delivery. These entities might only have weak relationships between then. I don't think it's possible to segment the entire delivery path into two parts.

3:  no additional SMTP messages should be generated by operation of the system

That rules out delivery status notifications. Such notifications aren't necessarily bounces.

#2 answers your question.  I do not assert that "the recipient MX
always knows everything there is to know about whether an email will
be successfully delivered or not" if "successfully delivered" means
"reaches the recipient's eyeballs" but I do believe that a recipient
MX has enough information to make an accept/trylater/reject decision,
which is what SMTP requires it to do.

Could you point me to the relevant section of RFC 5321 which describes that requirement?

Regards,
-sm