Re: [Asrg] attention bonds, was Email Postage

2008-11-29 14:21:40
On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 01:31:29PM -0600, David Nicol wrote:
I disagree.  Rich, and others who maintain this conviction, seem to be
blind to the gap between "apply the scheme to those who sign up for
the scheme" and "apply the scheme to everyone in general from the top,
down, as if there was a top that could enforce application of the
scheme"

Irrelevant, *and* a mischaracterization of my position.

It's irrelevant because it doesn't matter which of the two scenarios
above prevails; all of these schemes are pre-failed because they
all presume that something is true which is emphatically false: network
endpoints are secure.  All of these proposals thus amount to attempts
to layer a trust mechanism on top of an already-known badly-broken base.

(And, I might add, a base which continues to become still more broken,
both in terms of extent and severity.)

---Rsk