Re: [Asrg] Mailing list signup handshakes

2008-11-30 09:04:44
Michael Thomas wrote:
Steve Atkins wrote:
it is extremely difficult to distinguish wanted bulk mail from unwanted bulk mail. Knowing whether a particular message was solicited or not is a very useful data point in making that decision.

Yeah, sure. I'm not even sure "solicited" makes a useful distinction either, since those arguments usually devolve into legalistic claptrap.

"Unsolicited" still makes the difference between spam and legitimate bulk email. Having some data that might be held as legal evidence would be a further incentive for legitimate bulk mailers to behave correctly.

If you think of the "junk" button in terms of "I don't like this"
for whatever reason, we might make some progress in teasing out
people's fickle intents.

Doesn't that stem from the overall UI design? For example, YouTube's text comments sport a "good"/"bad" pair of buttons, beside a "spam" button, to classify comments. More buttons, less fickleness.

You'd think that legitimate bulk mailers would have a pretty big
incentive to heed a consistent "I don't like this" to one of their lists/campaigns/whatever so as not to harm their overall reputation.

Yes, responsible bulk senders take any step they can in order to make it clear they are not spammers. In addition, I think they would also be interested in finer feedback, i.e., more buttons.

Assuming that the feedback loop was completed, of course.

Currently, FBL is only available for extra large ESPs. (About a dozen of them?) Isn't that a limitation?

With the minuscule amount of email traffic I have, I don't think anyone would even consider applying to get FBLs from my servers. I assume that's because entering into an agreement takes a finite amount of human resources. Isn't it possible to automate the subscription mechanism, so that users of small ESPs can return that feedback to bulk mailers too?