Re: [Asrg] Projecting

2008-11-30 12:32:52

On November 28, 2008 at 23:33 sethb(_at_)panix(_dot_)com (Seth) wrote:
To answer John L's question: Pays an ESP, or pays to license mailing
list management or CRM software, or most likely in Amazon's case
pays a small army of DBAs and programmers and marketers and HTML
designers and MTA administrators.  That there's not currently any
direct cost for moving the bits into the recipient mailbox is not
evidence that they'd balk at one.

Therefore, adding such a cost will have no perceived effect (except to
their shareholders), so how does it solve any problem with Barry's
mailbox?

1. Right now this ISP gets a stream of hundreds of thousands of
messages per day to non-existant accounts.

The usual reason for those from "legit" bulk mailers is the account
has been closed, often closed for many years. We've been here since
1989, they accumulate.

If amazon et al were charged for each of these do you think they might
pay more attention to bounces?

2. There are approximately 1000 companies in the Fortune 1000.

Not all of them are net savvy or have any reason to email me.

But once one finds a reason to email me it's very rare that they stop
emailing me, some on a daily or near-daily basis.

That is, the volume tends to be a monotonically increasing value over
time.

So I might be facing O(1000) msgs/day from them alone. Now add in the
fortune 100,000. It's already very annoying and new sources seem to
pop up all the time (e.g., trade rags sell my email address.)

If they had to pay for this usage they might get more focused in their
marketing.

At any rate the bottom line is when a resource is free and desireable
this would be the expected result. There's a reason you don't get
O(1000) paper mail ads per day at home and that is the cost.

--
        -Barry Shein

The World              | bzs(_at_)TheWorld(_dot_)com           |
http://www.TheWorld.com
Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Login: Nationwide