Re: [Asrg] Projecting

2008-11-30 12:35:03

On November 29, 2008 at 11:07 mike(_at_)mtcc(_dot_)com (Michael Thomas) wrote:
Bart Schaefer wrote:
On Nov 29,  7:49am, Michael Thomas wrote:
}
} That's pretty much why this email postage stuff is a waste of time. Even
} if it were wildly successful, what other part of the net would you
} want the spammers to focus their huge resources on instead?

Don't bother treating your termite problem, they'll just move next door?

Not really. It's more like we have a pretty well known front line for
this war. We're "winning" at an abstract level because email is still
usable, even at the cost of its war of escalation. If we really "won"
a final victory in email, they'd just pick a new battlefield to play
on. So we get the choice of containment where we're doing ok, or
fighting on a completely new battlefield where who knows what the
dynamics will be. Wishing for what you might get, and all of that.

This projects an image of one, unified "enemy".

Closer to the truth is many miscreants, most unrelated, each also
competing with each other so each fully motivated to do whatever they
possibly can right now.

--
        -Barry Shein

The World              | bzs(_at_)TheWorld(_dot_)com           |
http://www.TheWorld.com
Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Login: Nationwide