Re: [Asrg] Projecting [POSTAGE]

2008-11-30 12:33:07

On November 29, 2008 at 11:25 johnl(_at_)taugh(_dot_)com (John Levine) wrote:

No sender, legitimate or spammer, pays anything like the full cost of
handling their mail.  It's all subsidized by recipients.  As I've said
over and over, that's fine for the mail we want.

Well, perhaps that's fine as far as you are personally concerned, but
for those of us who have to come up with the resources and management
it's not so fine.

As an ISP comments like this make me empathize with politicians who
have to sit and listen to "feed the homeless!", "fix the bridges!",
and so on by constituents who rarely want to suggest where the money
comes from, only the righteousness of their request.

Granted thus far prices for resources per se tend to be falling which
has created this magic envelope, sort of like when a lot of
manufacturing first went to China, where prices just go down and down,
so what's the problem?

I would hope people here could at least try to be a little more
foresighted.

As the old expression (?) goes, jump off a 20 story building and you
can imagine you are flying...for the first 19 stories.

Or, perhaps more pertinently, there used to be a time when the idea of
charging for IPv4 address space horrified people.

And relatively smallish organizations of low tens of thousands of
people grabbed address blocks with ~24 million addresses and thought
nothing of it -- it was free! They even began assigning chunks of
their space to whoever they deemed "worthy". Why not? It was free!

And now we have a problem.

--
        -Barry Shein

The World              | bzs(_at_)TheWorld(_dot_)com           |
http://www.TheWorld.com
Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Login: Nationwide